Shredding Event to Help Combat Identity Theft
Are you concerned about identity thieves stealing your personal information?
In an effort to raise awareness of identity theft and to help lower your risk of becoming a victim, Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno has partnered with Denny Grimes’ Team at Keller Williams Realty for “Shred the Day 2020”.
On Saturday, July 18th from 10am – 2pm, you can dispose of your personal documents by bringing them to 11900 Fairway Lakes Drive at the Gateway Sales and Information Center. A secure, on-site shredding truck will safely destroy your personally identifying information under the watchful eye of law enforcement volunteers. The FREE drive-thru style shred event will follow CDC guidelines, allowing you to stay safely inside your vehicle.
Please have all items in the trunk so volunteers may remove your documents easily. Boxes, bags and totes will be returned to you. All non-paper items such as, clips, staples, and binders should be removed in advanced. Shredding is for residential and personal documents only.
If you do not know what to shred, here are a list of documents we feel are shred worthy:
- Bank statements, ATM receipts, canceled or voided checks
- Expired driver’s licenses, identification cards, all picture ID’s
- Military documents
- Expired credit cards, statements and pre-approved credit applications
- Documents containing maiden names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, pin numbers, passwords and investment information.
- Medical and dental records
- Credit scores, leases, contracts, utility bills and letters containing signatures
- Pay stubs, tax forms and resumes
- Travel itineraries, airplane ticket stubs, luggage tags
For more information, please contact the Community Response Unit at 239-477-1CRU.