Spring in to Time Change with these 10 Safety Tips
Winter is slowly coming to an end, which means it's time to move the clocks forward one hour. The Lee County Sheriff's Office reminds you the beginning of daylight savings time is this Sunday, March 8th at 2:00 am. May we suggest you use this time to conduct the following residential safety tips:
1. Check the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
2. Check your burglar alarm system sensors to make sure they are working properly.
3. Update your personal information such as codes and passwords on all accounts, including your alarm company, online accounts, etc.
4. Reset your timers for interior and exterior lighting.
5. Check window and sliding glass door locks to ensure they are not worn out and are working well.
6. Check and properly dispose of unused or expired medication by dropping off at your nearest Sheriff’s Office sub-station or headquarters.
7. Plan and practice a home escape in the event of an emergency. Be sure to designate a safe meeting place outside.
8. Check the outside of your home to make sure shrubbery isn’t blocking your view from windows and entryways. Overgrown bushes attract burglars.
9. Sign up for Nextdoor at www.nextdoor.com.
10. Consider having a Crime Prevention Specialist speak at a community meeting.
For more information on how to request a program, or to have one of our certified Crime Prevention Specialists conduct a free residential security survey, contact the Community Response Unit at 239-477-1CRU.